Main causes of incidents in the workplace are:
- complaceny- especially workers who have been in the same role for several years
- tiredness- especially shift workers
- ignoring set policies and proceedures
- not taking sufficient precautions
- being over confident
- insufficient training of new employees
- lack of concernstration.
Work incidents can be very costly for a business due to the following factors:
- the need to retrain or replace injured workers
- loss of productivity with unsafe workplaces
- increase in workers' compensation premiums
- legal costs if cases go to court
- loss of quality staff who will leave if safety is not considered.
Costs & causes of work incidents.
-Mental health has overtaken physical injury as the cause of the longest absences.
- Work-related injuries and illnesses cost about $60 billion a year.