World War 1 project.

Quote- Arthur Savage British Army

¨My memories are of sheer terror and the horror of seeing men sobbing because they had trench foot that had turned gangrenous. They knew they were going to lose a leg.¨

 

Captain G. H. Impey, 7th Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment

¨Trench feet was still a new ailment and the provision of dry socks was vitally important. Part of the trench was reserved for men to go two at a time, at least once a day, and rub each other's feet with grease.¨

 

Trench Foot is caused by cold and wet conditions. Soldiers would stand in puddles of rain, mud, and their own waste. This disease can occurs with as little as 13 hours of exposure. Symptoms include numbness, affected area turning red or blue, as a result of poor vascular supply and feet may begin to have a decaying odor. If left untreated , this can lead to gangrene which is when a good amount of body tissue dies. If you want to avoid this disgusting disease keep your feet clean, warm, and dry. If they have whale oil use it. Pair up with another soldier to keep each other in check. Remind him to take off their boots and dry their feet , change his socks everyday.

TRENCH FOOT  

In the war you will be attacked by many things and gas is one of them. The gas can cause things from blisters to permanent blinding. To decrease your chances of being hurt by harmful gases you must use a gas mask. The gases used in war include tear gas, mustard gas, Phosgene, chlorine and suffocating gases. Gas will make eyes sticky and stuck together, it also causes weak lungs and long term pain. If ever affected with gas use "SAG" to lessen the pain.

Gas Blindess

REMINDER!

make sure masks are on right if fallen off or removed, you are susceptible to secondary chemical attacks

Quote 

“I was shot through the hand and through the leg and gassed by mustered in chlorine gas.  My hair was burnt and I could not see for three weeks.” -Paul Emmett Morgan, Sergeant Major

“About five times a day, he'd say he was going to commit suicide. We knew he wouldn't, but he'd got to be watched, all the time, and he would wake up in the night, screaming - and my mother would go and sit with him - saying 'Oh, I can't go back to it'... It was absolutely terrifying when he woke up, screaming and screaming and screaming.” (Sister of a soldier.)

 

Shell Shock

Shell shock is a common disease that causes soldiers to have psychological trauma. Shell Shock is caused by overt manifestations of repressed trauma. The symptoms include fatigue, tremor, confusion, nightmares,  impaired sight and hearing,  hysteria, paralysis, contracture of limbs, insomnia, heart palpitations, dizziness, depression and disorientation. a soldier is diagnosed when he is unable to function properly. You really can't prevent it because it is a reaction to the intensity of the bombardment and fighting. There are many treatments for shell shock. Non of which are enjoyable. The doctors don't really like treating this illness so they will try to cure you as fast as possible to get you back out on the field. Some treatments include shaming, physical re-education,   inflicting pain and electric shock treatment. 

 

"The lice were the size of grains of rice, each with its own bite, each with its own itch. When we could, we would run hot wax from a candle down the seams of our trousers, our vests - whatever you had - to burn the buggers out. It was the only thing to do. Eventually, when we got to Rouen, coming back, they took every stitch off us and gave us a suit of sterilised blue material. And the uniforms they took off, they burned them - to get rid of the lice."

- Harry Patch on the Western Front in his autobiography

Getting lice is extremely easy to get out in the trenches. Those little maggots can be acquired easily if you do not wash your clothes when you can and make sure you are checking others and youself for them constantly. the easiest way to get lice is what they get in the seams of your clothes. When a female lice puts an egg in the seam of your clothes, putting your clothes back on can cause it to rub against your skin and open the egg. Another way to get lice is to be very close to someone that has lice. Lice go after a warm host, and by huddling together will increase your chamces of lice. 

 

There are three types of lice:

  • Head 
  • body
  • pubic

Symptoms:

  • Extremely painful itch
  • exorbitant pain
  • following with a high fever

Prevention:

  • Baths or showers when you can
  • Clean your clothes often
  • if already have lice, 
  • hold your shirt or whatever part of their clothes was infected with lice and eggs, to an open flame where the lice would pop like Chinese firecrackers. This would kill both lice and eggs.

Lice/ Trench Fever  

HEre we hardly brush our teeth so be awar of trench mouth. IF you start to have severe gum pain, you know you got it. your gums would start to bleed even if you just touch it slightly.  Also, Dysentery inflamation disorder in the intestine . All i have to say about that is sorry.Soldiers who are aware of this danger in the trenches  sometimes opt instead for the 'in the hat' method. Their was no washing or shaving , and the demands of nature answered as quickly as possible in the handiest and deepest shell-hole.

Be comfortable to go days without taking a shower and even changing your clothes. There is no time for that. Plus do you see a shower or sinks around here? The smell is terrible but after a while you will get used to it.  

HYGIENE

BAd hygiene will lead to some people getting trench fever. we have no toilet paper to wipe our A$$e$ after using the restroom. If you need to pee, just go in your helmet and dump it somehwere. People could barely survive in the trenches due to them not being able to clean themseles.